Sunday, October 2, 2011

I'm Going to Throw Up

Last year, I attended the Tampa game, where the Lions ended their road game losing streak. The celebration and jubilation that followed was something I thought I wouldn't witness for at least a couple years. Total strangers were high-fiving and hugging each other. That win got the Lions to 3-10 on the season. It was ridiculous to get so hyped for that win. I was celebrating the Halloween-equivalent to a fun-sized Mounds bar. Today, I'm suffering from the hangover of consuming king-sized Snickers for two weeks straight. The Lions are 4-0 and after feasting on these two delicious wins, I sit back, look at what has just happened and feel sick.

Rob Ryan made a huuuuuge mistake
I'm not feeling ill because there's some glaring weakness in the LIons. I'm not queasy because the Lions were off to another shaky start. No, I'm on the verge of vomiting, hours removed from the Lions biggest comeback in over 50 years because my emotions have been drained, my quota for Lions-related screams of ecstasy has been met and surpassed for the entire season, and the pounds and energy I've lost in the last 12 hours is staggering. I have feasted on two of the most satisfying wins in my history of being a Lions fan and my stomach is slowing eating my innards from all the damn excitement. To add cherries on the top, the Tigers beat the Yankees, Arrested Development is coming back to TV (!!!!!!!!), and as I currently type this, Mark Sanchez is getting brutally raped by the Ravens. I keep looking around, but I can't seem to find the Pearly Gates.

This team is flawed, and, hell, they may not even be a top five team in the league. But right now they're one of two undefeated teams, they've taken down two teams that may be in the wild-card race at the end of the regular season, and they have been an extremely entertaining watch this year. I don't care that the Lions toughest games are ahead of them or that they are likely in the best division in football. This has already been my favorite season of Lions football, and we haven't even gotten to the MNF game vs. the Bears, or what promises to be a classic Thanksgiving game against the Packers. Hell, the last three games on the schedule should be incredibly entertaining: @Oakland, vs. San Diego, @Green Bay.

Just thinking about those games makes me want to throw up. And I freakin' love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment